Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lavender

Go ahead, take a look:
in back, beyond the cat mint family
is a meme, bluish, washed. 
A distant relative you didn’t know you had.
Your great aunt maybe.
Her sachet made your throat tight.
Or in the morning deep in the east field
when your eyes got wet and uncomfortable.
What you’re saying behind my back,
that I don’t belong here, like meters or organics
is not plain spoken. The day breaks slowly,
my nostalgia is valid too.
Remember how I disappeared in winter
and now I’m back?
Did you mistake me for a weed?
At first I couldn’t tell the difference either.
Say you saw me somewhere but you can’t recall for sure.
A picture in a book or maybe a purple sage.
No one will notice, or if they do they won’t understand
your purpose. Visit me in the early light, before the work begins
and lay the scent of egypt, italy, and provence against your skin.

No comments: